UCLAN Research Repository Policy
In support of the objectives stated in the 2007-2012 UCLAN Medium Term Strategy and the long term stewardship of scholarly works in digital form, the University Director of Research encourages strongly the deposit of research publications and papers in the UCLAN research Repository - CLoK. Wherever possible UCLAN research Repository staff will seek to archive the full-text of published work recorded on its database. In accordance with academic regulations digital copies of theses associated with the award of post-graduate degrees at UCLAN are also deposited on the Research Repository - CLoK.
Copyright in any work made available on the UCLAN Research repository remains the property of the owner. In uploading work to the research repository - CLoK, or asking an administrator to do so on their behalf, authors grant UCLAn the non-exclusive right to to store, manage and make available on the internet the work in any digital format that is necessary to maintain the integrity of the work and its accessibility in perpetuity. This is done with the understanding that it is the authors responsibility to ensure they have the right to deposit the work and to grant this license. UCLAN asserts its database rights in the collection and arrangement of the metadata records on the Research Repository - CLoK.
The UCLAN Research Clusters are responsible for implementing quality control mechanisms and communicating the criteria for acceptance to the Repository Manager and to staff making deposits. Repository staff are responsible for ensuring that content deposited has been subject to these mechanisms and meets the relevant Cluster criteria as stated in the Cluster Deposit policy statement. Cluster Leads can request at any time that materials associated with their cluster be removed from the Research repository - CLoK, or, disassociated from their Cluster.
All eTheses are deposited by Graduate Research School Office staff and any correspondence regarding this process should be directed to that Office.
The UCLAN Research repository - CLoK has a rigorous take down policy. Any claims or statements regarding copyright ownership or other legal agreements made by authors in the process of upload will be taken at face value by research repository staff. If any complaint is received by the Repository Manager claiming Copyright infringement or other offence with regard to work held on the Research Repository - CLoK, the work will be removed from public view pending investigation. If infringement is established the materials will be removed permanently.
Link to Cluster Research Repository Policies
Metadata Policy for information describing items in the repository
- Anyone may access the metadata free of charge.
- The metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for not-for-profit purposes and re-sold commercially provided the OAI Identifier or a link to the original metadata record are given.
Data Policy for full-text and other full data items
- Access to some or all full items is controlled.
- Copies of full items generally can be:
- reproduced, displayed or performed, and given to third parties in any format or medium
- for personal research or study, educational, or not-for-profit purposes without prior permission or charge.
- the authors, title and full bibliographic details are given
- a hyperlink and/or URL are given for the original metadata page
- the content is not changed in any way
- Full items must not be sold commercially in any format or medium without formal permission of the copyright holders.
Content Policy for types of document & data set held
- This is an institutional or departmental repository.
- CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge holds all types of materials.
- Deposited items may include:
- working drafts
- submitted versions (as sent to journals for peer-review)
- accepted versions (author's final peer-reviewed drafts)
- published versions (publisher-created files)
- Items are individually tagged with:
- their version type and date.
- their peer-review status.
- their publication status.
Submission Policy concerning depositors, quality & copyright
- Items may only be deposited by accredited members of the organisation, or their delegated agents.
- Eligible depositors must deposit bibliographic metadata for all their publications.
- The administrator only vets items for the eligibility of authors/depositors, relevance to the scope of CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge, valid layout & format, and the exclusion of spam
- The validity and authenticity of the content of submissions is checked by internal subject specialists.
- Items can be deposited at any time, but will not be made publicly visible until any publishers' or funders' embargo period has expired.
- Any copyright violations are entirely the responsibility of the authors/depositors.
- If CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge receives proof of copyright violation, the relevant item will be removed immediately.
- Items will be retained indefinitely.
- CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge will try to ensure continued readability and accessibility.
- Items will be migrated to new file formats where necessary.
- Where possible, software emulations will be provided to access un-migrated formats.
- It may not be possible to guarantee the readability of some unusual file formats.
- CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge regularly backs up its files according to current best practice.
- The original bit stream is retained for all items, in addition to any upgraded formats.
- Items may not normally be removed from CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge.
- Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:
- Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
- Legal requirements and proven violations
- National Security
- Falsified research
- Withdrawn items are not deleted per se, but are removed from public view.
- Withdrawn items' identifiers/URLs are retained indefinitely.
- URLs will continue to point to 'tombstone' citations, to avoid broken links and to retain item histories.
- Changes to deposited items are not permitted.
- Errata and corrigenda lists may be included with the original record if required.
- If necessary, an updated version may be deposited.
- In the event of CLOK (**MIGRATION**) - Central Lancashire Online Knowledge being closed down, the database will be transferred to another appropriate archive.