Willcocks, Stephen George and Wibberley, Gemma (2015) Exploring a shared leadership perspective for NHS doctors. Leadership in Health Services, 28 (4). pp. 345-355. ISSN 1751-1879
PDF (Author Accepted Manuscript)
- Accepted Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives.
Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/LHS-08-2014-0060
– The purpose of this paper is to explore involving doctors in shared leadership. It examines the policies that have led to the focus on shared leadership and the implications for practice.
– This is a conceptual paper, examining policy developments and key literature to understand the move towards shared leadership. It focuses on UK NHS, and in particular doctors, although the concepts will be relevant to other disciplines in healthcare, and healthcare systems in other countries.
– This paper suggests that the shared-leadership approach for doctors has potential given the nature of clinical practice, the inherently collaborative nature of healthcare and the demands of new healthcare organisations. Health policy reform, generally, will mean that all doctors need to be engaged with leadership, albeit, perhaps, at different levels, and with different degrees of formality. Leadership will remain an important precondition for the success of the reforms. This is likely to be the case for other countries involved in healthcare reform.
– To highlight the benefits and barriers to shared leadership for doctors.
– Offers an alternative to traditional approaches to leadership.
|Uncontrolled Keywords (separate with ;):||Professionals; National health service; Leadership; Doctors; NHS; Shared leadership approach|
|Subjects:||N - Business & administrative studies > N611 - Industrial relations|
|Schools:||Faculty of Business, Law & Applied Social Studies > School of Management|
|Deposited By:||Gemma Wibberley|
|Deposited On:||02 Feb 2016 14:28|
|Last Modified:||09 Jan 2017 09:02|
Downloads per month over past year
Downloads for past 30 days
Repository Staff Only: item control page